Why does life always happen in waves?? For the longest time there will be the lull only to be followed by hit after hit. Now these hits don't necessarily have to be negative. Positive hits also happen in life but like waves occur in succession of each other causing us sometimes to make impossible decisions.
On my return from Italy I attended a series of different interviews. Not only the one for Emirates but I was also invited to attend an interview for QCCA ( Qantas International). So I jetted down to Sydney to attend, along with 60 other hopefuls that day and went through the process of group tasks with lego, role playing and finally the panel interview. The wait after the morning session was just plain cruel as all 60 of us were going to receive a text message to say whether we were progressing onto the panel interview or not in the afternoon. Needless to say every time someone's phone quivered we all jumped, hearts pounding awaiting our fate.
Finally my phone buzzed and I sat there for a good 2 minutes unable to open the message for fear of what it said. Why is failure so scary?? Luckily CONGRATULATIONS glared back at me and I was off to complete my panel interview. I must say the QCCA interview was very friendly. During the times I was a bit stumped to come up with an experience that demonstrated what ever particular customer service skill, the two recruiters prompted me with suggestions that I may have come across therefor helping the old thought flow. It also probably helped immensely that the two recruiters I had my panel interview with, one frequently visited my hometown (Lismore) and the other was soon to depart on a cruise with my previous employer (Carnival). So general conversation sometimes took over the interview process as both recruiters were just as interested in my general life shall we say as my answers to the questions.
Once again the wait for a simple yes or no began and like Emirates a medical had to be completed. With all the paperwork in order I now sat by the phone willing it to ring from either Airline. Ring it did..from both. So now I was juggling the decision....Qantas or Emirates...Emirates or Qantas???????????? Now I don't want to sound as though this is a poor me story as I feel extremely fortunate. Like I said in the opening sometimes these hits are positive but still a decision has to be made and when deciding what to wear of a morning sometimes can be tricky this was going to be hard!!
So after joining forums, emailing friends of friends in the industry and a bit of searching for "what do I really want out of all this" my heart settled on Emirates. I haven't heard as to whether my medical was ok with Emirates as yet so I am still waiting for the final nod of approval but have the tentative date of the 4th of April as my departure date...so more waiting. So as not to shoot myself in the foot I did accept the offer from QCCA to commence on the 10th March just in case Emirates decided at the last minute no. I mean you never can tell so better to be safe than sorry, could you imagine if I said no to QCCA then I didn't hear back from Emirates..no job with either. Not that that will happen. I am confident that I will be departing for Dubai in April, however until the plane ticket is in my hand I have to keep all avenues open.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment