Friday, May 16, 2008

Training, training, training.

The next 6 weeks consisted of waking up at 5.30am every morning, training college at 7am, home at 4pm. Considering I am not the chirpiest of birds in the morning this was going to prove to be quite the task. Red lipstick and all!!


Grooming day was generally that. Making sure you are up to "Emirates standards". A term you will now hear for the rest of your time with Emirates! I felt like a complete phoney all dressed up in the EK getup and not a clue what it all entailed. That was soon to change though with SEP training, formally known as Safety Emergency Procedures.

SEP was 2 weeks of intensive training. Learning all about what to do in case of an emergency landing and ditching. The later I thought not much you're pretty much screwed but never the less we know all the procedures. The best bit was definitely the simulator. I have to admit EK training is excellent especially with all the simulator training. We also had to study and memorise all the emergency equipment on board and where it is to be found. What to do in case of a fire onboard or a decompression. Decompression is when pressure is lost from the cabin eg a door blowing off!! I just love how we are trained in all this which of course is highly necessary but if a door blew off you would shit yourself...right?? We also saw a video on aircraft disasters with the point being what could have been done better by the crew. Hiensight is a beautiful thing and during all this I was definitely questioning if I was in the right job!!



2 weeks of SEP was followed by a week of First Aid. We learnt how to treat anything from hyperventilation to heart attack and of course how to deliver a baby!!!!! I swear if there is one woman who looks like she is ready to pop on my flight I will hyperventilate!!

Finally we had reached the last 2 weeks of training. Service training and finally late classes which meant no more early starts!!! I hadn't realised just how much of a night person I was until EK training but with the change in class time to night classes I was a happier camper. Service training consisted of learning about the products onboard and of course how to deliver them. We got to have mock ups in a simulator with real aeroplane food and all. Very fun!!

After 6 weeks it was finally time for graduation and was I ready to graduate. So with trolley dolley school out of the way it was time to celebrate and that we did. Off for dinner and many many drinks with my abinitio it was time to cut lose and see the nightlife of Dubai. Must say I am yet to see something to wow me..I am a hard audience but none the less had a great time and am ready to fly fly away!!

No comments: