Thursday, January 24, 2008

Italy to interviews

Ready to begin my next journey after returning from beautiful Italy I decided Emirates Cabin Crew was the next adventure. So dressed in my knee length black skirt, business shirt , heels, red lipstick and armed with my resume and photos I took myself to the Emirates Open Assessment Day in Brisbane, Australia. On arrival there was a bevy of men and woman all appearing very professional and already looking like cabin crew. Sitting in Aviation Australia's lobby I struck up a conversation with a lovely girl named Kate. From here on in we would stick to each other like glue, as unlike the majority of the participants who seemed to know each other, we knew no one.
Finally all 140 of us were taken through the doors, sat down and given the briefing on Emirates and life in Dubai. After a general Q&A session we then 1 at a time presented ourselves to the recruiters Charity and Chelsea. Making the most of our 45 seconds and coming to the conclusion that presentation was the deciding factor of making it to the next round we once again waited in the lobby for the decision to be made. After all 140 of us had our initial interview we were shuffled back into the boardroom and now known as number 28 I was presented with a letter stating I was proceeding to the next round of interviews. Kate was proceeding too and we set off home to get prepared for a full day of interviews the next day.
The following day we had been cut down to 70 applicants. Split into 3 groups, each group waiting there turn to go in for a group interview session. Our first group interview was telling the group a series of things about the person sitting next to you followed by 1 at a time doing the reach test to see that we were tall enough for cabin crew. Then our group was split in two and each group had to come up with 5 new destinations Emirates should fly to and why. Once my group had come up with our 5 destinations a guy and girl had to present to the others. I was the presenter for my group and was surprisingly nervous. Once complete we then waited for the dreaded letter to see if we were going on to the next round. Kate and I were through!!
Much waiting around as the other groups completed the first round of interviews and we then proceeded to the 2nd round. We were given a scenario of an emergency situation and a list of things we could take off the plane. Listing the top 5 items from most essential to least we had to as a group come to a solid conclusion. Next was a game two truths and a lie were as the game suggests you tell the groups 2 truths about yourself and 1 lie. The group have to guess the lie. Once again it was the wait for the dreaded letter and thankfully both Kate and I made it.
Through this whole process we had been cut down from 70 to 30 applicants and we were asked to come in and complete a series of forms and a psych test. Told we had made it to the panel interview we had to choose a day, my day was in 4 days time so plenty of time to get my photos done. The panel interview was horrible and I really thought I had done badly. Leaving Avation Australia it was up to the final decision of the Sheik in Dubai and the wait of my future began. 3-6 weeks we were told, I don't think I'll cope!!

No comments: